Genocide Survivors Foundation’s Activity Highlights
Although GSF is a relatively new organization with no paid staff, we are proud of what we have been able to accomplish thus far in our two programmatic areas: (1) Genocide prevention education and advocacy and (2) Supporting Survivors.
Some of our accomplishments thus far include the following:
- Raised over $9,000 for IBUKA-Rwanda to provide food and other basic necessities to the most vulnerable genocide survivors in Rwanda during the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Contributed funds to repair one survivor family’s home.
- Paid for housing and other daily necessities for two young survivors to enable them to pursue their education.
- Covered the cost for five survivors to purse vocational training, including cost of tuition, travel and educational materials.
- Covered one survivor’s last year of university education.
- Helped raise funds for three trauma healing retreats for women genocide survivors in Rwanda.
- Helped cover the healthcare needs of a genocide survivor who was a victim of multiple gang rapes and other violent acts during the 1994 genocide against the Tutsi in Rwanda and as result became severely disabled.
- Provided healthcare support for one survivor based in USA.
- Provided housing and other daily needs for a genocide widower in Rwanda.
- Provided university educational supplies for a young genocide survivor in Rwanda.
- Connected a USA based genocide survivors to healthcare resources for treatment of wounds suffered during the 1994 genocide in Rwanda.
- Connected a USA based genocide survivor who was a victim of domestic violence to legal resources.
- Helped cover an airplane ticket for a genocide survivor to come to the United States after she won the U.S diversity visa lottery.
- Co-sponsored two programs on sexual violence during genocide and other mass atrocity crimes.
- Participated in numerous genocide prevention education and awareness programs at schools, churches, conferences and at holocaust and genocide educational centers.
- Made statements and spoke out against several modern day displays of racism, anti-Semitism, Xenophobia and other forms of extremism.
- Organized several annual commemoration programs for the 1994 genocide against the Tutsi in Rwanda.
We are very proud of what we accomplished thus far but have larger goals which we know we can accomplish with your help.
In addition to continuing our genocide prevention education and advocacy work, with enough funding, we hope to continue providing support to survivors in the following areas:
- Providing educational scholarships to young genocide survivors.
- Supporting income generating activities for vulnerable genocide survivors.
- Covering the costs of medical and mental healthcare services for vulnerable survivors
- Building/helping to repair houses for vulnerable survivors including elderly survivors whose children and spouses were murdered during the 1994 genocide.
Please consider a contribution to Genocide Survivors Foundation to help us continue our important and urgent work. GSF is a 501(c) (3) not-for profit organization and all donations are tax-deductible.